Skip to content
Basho Music logo
Close
Hit enter to search or ESC to close

Basho Music supports NYJC

THE NATIONAL YOUTH JAZZ COLLECTIVE (NYJC)
BRITAIN’S BEST STARTING POINT FOR YOUNG JAZZ ENTHUSIASTS WHO WANT TO LEARN THE ESSENTIALS OF IMPROVISED MUSIC IN SMALL ENSEMBLES. THEY NEED YOUR HELP TOO.


NYJC_logo
The key to NYJC’s success in encouraging and training Britain’s future Jazz stars is their unrivalled roster of 70 world class tutors including 46 conservatoire professors and 2 Heads of Jazz at the Royal Academy and the Royal Birmingham Conservatoire.

NYJC’s most visible and popular programme is the annual residential SUMMER SCHOOL where, following a national audition tour, 45 of the most gifted and talented musicians in the UK (all between 14 and 18 years of age) are selected for a week-long creative and educational experience with a highly skilled team of tutors. At the end of their week of intensive work they perform a concert which always amazes their audience (and often surprises themselves) with the extraordinarily high standard of ensemble playing and solo performance they are able to achieve.

SOME ACHIEVEMENTS SO FAR

Notable Alumni
1 Mercury Prize nominee Laura Jurd • 2 Grammy Winner Jacob Collier • 3 Jazz FM Awards winner Nubya Garcia • 4 BBC Young Jazz Musician of 2014 Alex Bone • 5 BBC Young Jazz Musician of 2016 Alexandra Ridout • 6 Artistic Director Issie Barratt with NYJC President Dave Holland

OVER THE PAST 11 YEARS

•All BBC Jazz musician of the Year winners are NYJC alumni •80% of the finalists are also NYJC Alumni •We have also achieved several nominations for Grammys, Parliamentary Jazz Awards, Jazz FM Awards and Mercury Awards •7 Alumni have become NYJC tutors •90% of Summer School participants go on to Jazz degrees •Most of the remaining 10% study Jazz at postgraduate level •NYJC has become a trusted provider of musicians and NYJC has become a trusted provider of musicians and educators by the tertiary education community

NYJC was founded in 2007 by an exceptional woman – ISSIE BARRATT. Voted by the BBC in 2018 as one of the top 40 most influential women in the music industry, Issie continues to be our visionary Artistic Director and a leading motivating force in Britain’s young Jazz community.

ARTS COUNCIL ENGLAND recognised NYJC in 2015 as a centre of excellence in music and awarded them top-ranking status of National Portfolio Organisation (NPO) along with annual core funding.

BUT THEY STILL NEED PUBLIC SUPPORT. PLEASE HELP THEM TO CONTINUE THEIR IMPORTANT WORK BY MAKING A DONATION.

 

Your Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *